Thursday, July 16, 2009

Indie Archive- Morgan Street Patisserie April 2009


What a super day! Bright sun, super weather and more soap to spotlight!

Etsy Artist and another fellow EAOC (Etsy Artists of Color Team) member Morgan Street was gracious enough to stop by for a few.

Welcome MorganStreet

1. Introduce yourself _ name, location , Shop name and product(s)you create.

My name is Sharon, I live in Bridgeport, CT. Shop name is Morgan Street and I create all things Soap and Bath & Body.

2. Where did you get your shop name?

I'm originally from England and I my childhood home was on Morgan Street. It's where I learned all things crafty. I still have strong ties there because one of my childhood friends bought the house after my mom passed away and my best friend's parents still live on the street. Whenever I go back, it's like a big family reunion!

3. What brought you to crafting soap?

When my niece was young she had terrible eczema and was unable to take regular baths like her siblings. I felt so sorry for her, I told my sister that I was going to make soap that she could use. I purchased a couple of books and read them over and over for about 6 months before I got the courage to make my 1st batch of soap and I haven't stopped since. ps - my niece has beautiful skin today :-)

4. How did you come to find a home on ETSY?

I had heard about Etsy on and off for a couple of years but didn't fully grasp what it was about until one day, quite by chance I happened on the site again. On that very day at that very time, I signed up and started listing products. I had no expectations at that time but figured it couldn't hurt.

5. What is (are) your favorite pieces in your Shop
That's a difficult one. They're all my favorite. If I had to choose just one, it would be the Chocolate Cake Lip Balm!


6.What is the best piece of advice you can give other aspiring soap crafters who are considering selling their craft?

My best advice would be to do what you love and do it well. Never think you know enough as there's always new things/techniques to learn.

7. In your opinion, why do you think that buying and selling handmade products benefits society especially in today's economy?

Speaking from my own personal experiences here. My company didn't give raises this year and some companies even cut salaries. Despite this, I am able to create what I love. If customers are buying my products, I in turn am able to turn around and spend it right back on Etsy which hopefully is enabling that seller to keep their lights on or buy from another seller. It's just good all around for the handmade movement.

8. Where can we find you other than Etsy to learn more about you? Any other shops?
I'm in the process of resurrecting my own website. The address will be morganstreetsoap.com

No comments:

Lijit Search

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online