Thursday, July 16, 2009

Indie Archive- The Soap Seduction -April 2009


Simple Sunday Soap Special--Try and say that four times fast LOL!!

I wanted to have those fabulous Friday features but with the gorgeous weather we have been having here along the East Coast I don't blame my features for taking it in;-)

I did get a chance to grab Awesome ArtFire Artist LOVELY Lady behind

1. Introduce yourself _ name, location , Shop name and product(s)you create.
Hello world! My name is Patrice Harrison and I am the brains behind the beauty of The Soap Seduction. I craft soaps, candles, and bath and body goodies.

2. Where did you get your shop name?

I really made the name up out of nowhere. I knew I wanted "soap" in the title so there would be no mistake about what it was I sold. I also wanted something that would be memorable and something a little risque, and nothing says that like "seduction." ;-)

3. what brought you to crafting soap?

I came to make soap as a result of my ashy-prone skin being dried out even more by the commercial detergent bars. Even the so-called "moisture" bars did nothing for me. I also wanted a soap in the scents that I like. I'm very partial to food-based fragrances as I know a lot of people are, and I just couldn't find that commercially. Everything was floral or fruity-floral.

4. How did you come to find a home on ARTFIRE? What are the challenges you find selling your goods online?

Believe it or not, I found ArtFire through a forum thread on EAOC (Etsy Artists of Color). The question was "Does anyone sell on ArtFire...?" and I was like "What the heck is ArtFire..." and with one click, I was hooked. It was new and growing, as I am, and what better way to establish my fledgling business than with a fledgling craft venue. It can be considered a risky move, but I'm quite happy there, and I've been relatively successful in the 4 1/2 months I've been selling there.

The challenges of selling online is staying afloat among the ocean of competition. Sometimes I lose focus because I compare my shop to others, but I find that can lead to discouragement and ultimately failure because you feel you don't measure up. I've since learned that I am unique in my own right and that there's room for everyone. I won't appeal to everyone, but I do have a loyal following.

5. What is (are) your favorite pieces in your Shop

My favorite item of the moment is this orange and bergamot soap.

It's both fruity and earthy which makes a seductive (pun intended) combination. It's still curing, but it will be available the week of May 10th.

6.Is soap making/ body products your main income, or do you have a "day job" also?

I only wish it were my main income. I do have a day job. I've been in banking for almost 15 years. I enjoy it, and I like knowing where my money is at all times...LOL.

6.What is the best piece of advice you can give other aspiring soap crafters who are considering selling their craft?

The best advice I can give to aspiring soap crafters is be able to defend why you charge what you do for your craft. I can't tell you how many times I've been hit with the "I ain't paying no $5.00 for a bar of soap when I can get 10 bars for the same price at XYZ store...." And to that I tell them, "First and foremost, you're not buying soap, you're buying heavily-scented, overly-drying detergent bars...." Being able to defend your passion is key in any business forum.


7. In your opinion, why do you think that buying and selling handmade products benefits society especially in today's economy?

Let's face it, our economy sucks right now. With so many people out of work, it can be challenging to convince folks to buy your handmade products, but I believe that handmade is the best way to go. It's not only the major corporations who are suffering, but the small business owners are too. Many handmade artisans rely on their craft to support themselves and their families. You may not realize it, but you're buying that bar of soap or those gorgeous pair of earrings are pumping dollars back into our economy. Where do you think we're buying our supplies from? You guessed it: Other small businesses and sometimes, the major corporations. Also, many handmade artisans are using sustainable materials to craft their goods, so not only is handmade healthy for our economy, but our environment as well.

8. Where can we find you other than Artfire to learn more about you? Any other shops?

I'm trying to take over the web...LOL. I currently sell on Etsy, Funky Finds, and 1000 Markets. I also twitter (http://www.twitter.com/SoapSeduction), and I blog almost daily at www.thesoapseduction.blogspot.com.

Thanks so much for sharing with us Patrice!!! and continued success. Please visit her shops and enjoy the Seduction;-)

Patrice Harrison

www.TheSoapSeduction.artfire.com

www.thesoapseduction.etsy.com

www.thesoapseduction.1000markets.com

http://thesoapseduction.blogspot.com

No comments:

Lijit Search

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online