Friday, April 17, 2009

Feature Friday- Awesome Indie Interview with Danielle Designs-12/13/08

I snagged this great interview with DanielleDesigns@etsy.com_ CHECK it out!


1. What brought you to crafting?

Hmmm, that's a hard one to answer since I've been crafting pretty much my whole life! I just love crafting, and I guess I was born that way! Whenever I discover a new project, I throw myself into it with almost obsessive force. Although, I'm like that with most things in my life (I'm a Scorpio, hehe)

2. Where do you receive you inspiration?

Usually my design inspiration comes from a different project. I'll be making one thing, then I'll think of something else, so I'll go start that, and so on, and then I realize I hadn't finished the first thing! I also receive inspiration from my parents, not design-wise, but they've always supported me to do whatever I want and follow my dreams. Also, from the
Etsy community! I decided to start my new section, decoupaged bangles because I saw one on etsy and thought, "that's so cool, I want to do that"!

3. How did you come to find a home on Etsy? do you sell anywhere else?

I found
Etsy a couple years ago, and I honestly don't remember how! I think I maybe saw an ad on myspace or something! Somewhere on the Internet, at any rate. I do not sell anywhere else. I've looked at all the other crafting sites, and none of them seem to live up to Etsy in terms of layout, ease of navigating, and mostly the community section! Who knows, in the future I may branch out, but Etsy will always be my base!

4. What is (are) your favorite pieces in your Shop

Wow that's a really tough question. I love all my pieces, although for some it is harder than others to list instead of keep
lol! Among my favorites would have to be my 'Silver Couture' decoupaged bangle, and also my rainbow rose earrings made from polymer clay, which have 36 hearts and have still not sold!!



5.Who are your favorite artists? Include a link to their site /blog if possible

Well I am also a photographer, so I really love Ansel Adams' work and also Annie Leibovitz (She is AMAZING!!! My Idol!!!) For Etsy artists, I really love artists who find a way to repurpose/recycle in a unique way, like NormalIsBoring, who sells jewelry made from recycled balloons! Or alilyamongthorns, who makes jewelry made from recycled Starburst wrappers! I've done trades with both of them and I just love wearing their earrings and telling people what they're made of! And then of course directing them to etsy! ;)

6.What is the best piece of advice you can give other indie crafters?

Just keep at it. List every day, or as much as you can, and get featured on blogs, any exposure you can. Twitter is an amazing tool I have recently found. I have over 3,000 followers now, and every time I post one of my items, I get about 15 views immediately! It's also cool to personally connect with other Etsy Artists and other people on twitter who might not know about etsy.

Here's my twitter: http://twitter.com/DaniellsDesigns. I love new twitter friends and I follow everyone back! I'll also be glad to answer any questions about twitter or etsy for any of you newbies out there!

7. In your opinion, why do you think that buying and selling handmade products benefits society?

I just love everything about it! For one thing, it supports individual artists, not huge corporations where the income is distributed very unevenly between the CEO and the average worker. And the community it so fun! To me, the whole process is just more loving than going to WalMart! The products are made with love, you respect the artist so much more, and there is a personal touch! I could go on and on about this, but I think if you are reading this blog you know what I am talking about. :)


8. What are your goals for 2009?

I would love to sell more of my new decoupaged bangles, I just got into it and I am loving it, and I would love to get feedback that it is a worthwhile venture. Here is the section: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5263188&section_id=5802382
I've sold one so far, but if I don't end up selling any, I will just keep them all to wear for myself! No loss there! I don't really have any definite goals, but I plan on listing one item every day, although that usually doesn't last very long! Anyway, a big thank you to you Nyblaque for featuring me on your blog! And thank you to everyone reading this! :)

Thank you Danielle for sharing your amazing work with us!

1 comment:

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

Super nice interview! Love the rainbow rose earrings! Wish I needed a gift for someone!
Michelle-

Lijit Search

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online