Monday, July 6, 2009

Indie Inspirations- Interview With Sydney Austin Designs

I had the pleasure of finding this beautiful Indie Artist at Etsy.com and had to grab a few minutes to chat with her. Please welcome

~ Hip Handcrafted Jewels for the Stylish Chick ~

1. Welcome to Indie Inspirations!-Please introduce yourself;-)
My name is Robyn Wren Bourne. I'm originally from Baltimore, MD. I currently live in Greensboro, NC. My shop's name is Sydney Austin Designs. I design and make one of a kind jewelry such as necklaces, earrings, cocktail rings, and bracelets.

2. Is your shop name your real name? It's has a beautiful ring to it.
My shop name is not my "real" name. Sydney is my daughter's middle name and Austin is my son's middle name.

3. What inspired you to start making jewelry? What are your favorite materials to work with?
My brother and I made earrings years ago and we stopped. A few years ago I took a jewelry making class in Baltimore and I fell in love with all of the gemstones that are available.

I rec'd lots of compliments from the designs I made in class that I decided to give jewelry making another shot. I love working with gemstones, vintage beads, lampwork, metal, freshwater pearls, swarovski crystal, and wood.



4. How did you come to find a home on ETSY?
I found Etsy by doing some research on Google for selling handcrafted jewelry.

5. How does it feel to have your own on-line shop? What have you learned so far about running your own business?
I love having my jewelry available online. I am currently in the works to obtaining my own website that will hopefully be up and running by December 2009. Having your own business that a lot of hard work and dedication.

6. What is your favorite piece in your Shop?
My
Surrender Earrings are my favorite item in my shop. They are so much fun! Perfect for anybody in the law enforcement field.

7. Do you find yourself trying to keep up with the latest trends/fads or do you march to a different drum of your own. Do you have any special projects that you are/will be working on?
I get inspiration from current trends, but mostly I like to march to my own beat. I would love to take metalsmithing classes. I want to learn how to work with a torch. Right now I have a beautiful handmade lampwork mother/baby pendant that I am trying to create into a beautiful necklace.

8. What is the best piece of advice you can give other jewelry designers?
My advice for other jewelry artisans is to be diligent, always continue to study your craft (take classes, go to workshops), be flexible (especially now in this tough economic market), but most of all be consistent!

9. In your opinion, why do you think that buying and selling handmade products benefits society?
Handmade products benefit society because a lot of materials we use are recycled. We take vintage beads, scrap metal, natural materials, and make them into something beautiful. When you buy handmade you are supporting small businesses. Plus you are getting a quality product.

10. So, is there anywhere else we can find you other than Etsy to learn more about you? Do you have any other shops

I have a blog: http://www.sydneyaustindesigns.blogspot.com I am also on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/sydneyaustin Also, I have a flickr account which shows a lot of my designs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sydneyaustindesigns/


Fabulous!!- Thank you so much for coming by..Good luck to you & keep those gorgeous creations coming!

Thanks for the opportunity to be featured in your blog!

-Robyn

2 comments:

Sydney Austin Designs said...

Thank you so much for featuring me!

GloriasJewelryBox said...

Lovely interview! Congrats and I just L-O-V-E the Urban Cowboy necklace! Can't wait to see it in your shop!

Lijit Search

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online